Simple rules, a classic table setting and a thrilling atmosphere, online baccarat provides every Kiwi player with all the card game essentials.
If you have ever wondered how to play the game, or are trying to sharpen your online baccarat skills, our article on online baccarat is a must read for all Kiwi baccarat enthusiasts. Read on to find out more about this popular casino game.
Best NZ Casino Sites
The history of online baccarat in New Zealand
The true origin of baccarat is still unknown as many gambling theorists argue between Italy and France as the birthplace of this beloved game. The Italian theory states that baccarat was developed by Italian gambler Felix Falguierein during the 1400’s and was originally played using tarot cards. The name baccarat is translated to zero in Italian which is believed to come from the King, Queen, Jack and 10 cards which are all valued at 0. Baccarat was later introduced to France around the 15th century by soldiers during the Franco-Italian war, the game was then known as Chermin de Fer, which then made its way to Europe where it was adapted and renamed Baccarat Banque.
NZ Online baccarat basics
Many Kiwi players believe that online baccarat is a confusing game, but once you understand the rules and start playing you will be well on your way to earning your online baccarat pro status. Playing baccarat online is even simpler as all the hard work is done for you; all you have to worry about is winning. But before we dive into the rules, let’s take a look at some online baccarat basics, starting off with how to play baccarat at the top online casino New Zealand.
Playing online baccarat in New Zealand
Playing baccarat online is great as you do not have to constantly work out what’s going on, with the added pressure of a live dealer and players all around you. Online baccarat allows you to relax, place your bets and allow the game software to do all the work for you. In online baccarat the player bets on which hand will get the closest value to 9. The player has a chance to bet on their own hand.
Online baccarat card values
The card values in online baccarat are easy to remember:
- All numbered cards, except 10, retain their value.
- King, Queen, Jack and 10 are valued at 0.
- Aces are valued at 1.
Much like blackjack, players can stay with their current cards. These are known as a ‘stand’ or receive a third card known as a ‘draw.’ These standing and drawing rules differ between the player and the banker. First, let’s look at the rules for the player.
- If the player’s total card value is 0-5, a third card will be drawn.
- If the player’s total card value is 6 or 7, the player will stand.
Online baccarat rules for Kiwi players
Here are some of the general rules of online baccarat you should learn and follow:
- The main objective of the game is to get as close to 9 as possible using two or three cards.
- The highest hand value is 9, and the lowest hand value is 0.
- If the total value of the players or the bankers hand exceeds 9, only the second digit of the value will count. For example, if the total value of the hand is 15, the actual value will be 5.
- The game is considered over if the player or the banker is dealt a natural hand of an 8 or 9.
- The player’s hand is always dealt first.
Variations of online baccarat
There are three main variations of online baccarat, Punto Banco, Chemin de Fer and Baccarat Banque. The most popular of these is Punto Banco which is also known as American Baccarat. We suggest that you give each one of these online baccarat variations a try. This will help you find one specific type that you like. Playing each variation in free play mode will also give you great practice when you decide to play for real money at online casinos like G’Day Casino, Golden Riviera, Novomatic Casinos and much more. Here are some other common variations you can try:
- 7 Up Baccarat
- Asian Stud
- 2 to 1Baccarat
- Lucky Draw Baccarat
- Super Pan 9
- Baccarat Gold
Online baccarat tips for Kiwi players
- Read the rules of online baccarat to gain a better understanding of the game so you can make more informed decisions.
- Make sure you understand the different bets of the game.
- Always consult your cards before making a decision.
- Understand the different odds and payout of the game so you know what your chances of winning are.
- Avoid betting on a tie as this is the rarest and riskiest bet.
- Betting on the banker is usually the best bet as it has the best odds.
- Set a bankroll limit before you start playing as you can get caught up in the game and end up spending more than you wanted to.
- Generally, the games with the smallest number of decks give you the best chance of winning.
Why play online baccarat
- The rules are simple to learn and easy to follow.
- It is fast-paced exciting game that is guaranteed to keep you entertained.
- Many online casinos offer top bonuses to increase your bankroll.
- The different varieties of baccarat allow you to try out each type before deciding on a favourite.
- The free play option also allows you to practice online baccarat. This will help you learn how the game works and get comfortable with the different bets and rules of the game.
- Playing online provides you with the extra concentration you need to play the game as you are free from the distractions found at land-based casinos.
- You no longer have to wait for a spot at the baccarat table as you can now play online baccarat anywhere, anytime.
The glossary of online baccarat terms in 2016
To bet that the banker will have the highest hand
The amount of money that the house takes from a winning bet on the bank
A French word for a round of baccarat
To take another card
Refers to the King, Queen and Jack of any suit of cards
A version of baccarat that is played on a smaller scale
When the player or the bank has a hand value of 8 or 9 it is considered a natural hand and the game is over
To bet that the player will have the highest hand
The container that is used to hold the cards
To keep the cards you have and not take any more cards
When the player and the bank are in a tie
To bet that the player and the banker will have the same hand total